Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chapter 9

Focus Question
What is multimedia technology and how can teachers use it to effectively create and share visual information dynamically in their teaching?
Multimedia learning happens when multiple media (text, data, voice, picture, and video) are used to communicate information. This kind of technology can be used to effectively create and share visual information dynamically in many ways. Students will find it more interesting to learn from videos, powerpoints, or audio tapes rather than the typical lecture. When teachers incorporate multiple interactive media regularly into instruction, it changes how students experience learning in schools. Ideally, by presenting educational material in words, pictures, sound, and animations, teachers "take advantage of the full capacity of humans for processing information."(Mayer, 2011 p.4)

Tech Tool Link
After using Teachertube, I realized it is a really good website to find educational videos. Teachertube is an educational version of the popular YouTube video site. Teachertube provides free online space for sharing instructionally and educationally themed videos made by teachers and students. When I got on this site just to browse around, I found many good videos and documents. They were all very educational and potentially useful. Everything is organized by in different categories. Overall, it is a very good website. 

Summary and Connection
This chapter was pretty resourceful. It introduced me to a few new multimedia resources I can use as a teacher. It also refreshed my memory on ones I had already known about. With this chapter,  I jotted down a few ideas on how I can make my future science class interesting and fun for my students because science is a subject you can either make or break. In science, you can lecture for 20 minutes out of the book then do a worksheet, or show the students an interesting video then do the worksheet using the book. I'm excited to use different types of multimedia technology in my science classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment