Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chapter 2

Transforming Learning with Unique, Powerful Technology

Focus Question
How do students use technology to access and assess information?
Students use internet websites, electronic encyclopedias and sometimes CD-ROMs to gain information. The ability to locate, evaluate, and use information effectively is called information literacy. With information literacy, come the skills to do so.

Tech Tool Link
The Visual Dictionary Online website (http://visual.merriam-webster.com/), I found very useful. For a person who is a visual learner, this dictionary is perfect. I'd definitely use it as a tool when I become a teacher. It has links to every different subject. One particular link I found super interesting was the science one. Once you clicked on it, it took you to different subdivisions of the subject. There was chemistry, physics- mechanics, physics- optics, among others. Maybe I found this specific part of the website interesting because the subject I want to teach is science.
http://visual.merriam-webster.com/science.php

Summary and Connection
Chapter two was one with lots of information. All of it was very useful. Part of the chapter discussed the different ways students learn, while other parts of it talked about student collaboration, engagement, and creativity. I feel the links they shared on the Tech Tools were all very useful. The one I looked into the most was one about a visual dictionary, but I also saw them talking about creativity in another one. This is all very important to me because I feel that with all the different forms of technology there are now, students don't really express their creativity or get much from the lessons they're being taught. 

1 comment:

  1. There are many great science websites and many opportunities to get creative with that subject. That visual dictionary is a good one, especially because so much of our learning does happen via vision.

    ReplyDelete